Tuesday, September 26, 2006

more INTERVIEWS---about Hacken's life/personality




















(Source: HKVP Radio) http://www.hkvpradio.com

January 7, 2005

Hacken Lee doesn't forget where he came from

SING TAO - If it weren't for Vivian Chow, Hacken Lee might have been a famous interior designer. At every year's music awards, he might have been sitting at home watching the show on TV instead of being a nominee. Hacken had an uncle who owned an interior design business in the United States. Early in Hacken's childhood, his family already had plans for him. After he finished high school in Hong Kong, he would study interior design in the States. Afterwards, he would take over his uncle's business. After summar vacation in Form 5 in 1985, Hacken entered TVB's 4th Annual New Talent Competition. One of the judges was late legend Leslie Cheung, who disqualified Hacken. Even though Hacken didn't get into the Top 30, he did meet someone who he became good friends with - Vivian Chow. After several months, Hacken returned to school for Form 6 and was already filling out USA college applications. At that time, Vivian told Hacken to participate in the 19 Territories Singing Competition. Hacken went on to win First Place at this competition, and this completely rewrites the story of his life. "When I won the competition, it messed up all the plans for college. Winning first place got me a PolyGram recording contract. It was so much fun, so I never thought about not signing this record deal. Now my family has immigrated so they're not against it anymore. If I could choose again, I would still be a singer." When he first became a singer, record sales weren't ideal. After shooting a TVB series, his star power and record sales started to climb. Hacken left PolyGram for another label, but the company had a lot of internal problems. This was the point Hacken experienced two years of lows. But he didn't think about leaving the showbiz at all. Rather, he become a sports announcer for TVB's coverage of the World Cup and also emceed for Jade Solid Gold awards. "I covered World Cup with Eric Tsang and Nat Chan. I sat in the middle among the three of us. They were like left and right guards bringing me along. Ever since I was little, even though my grades weren't good at school, I would use my allowance to buy soccer magazines every week. When I had that announcer job, I was really satisfied. When I went out, soccer fans would treat me like an expert and talk sports." At that point, Hacken became known as a butt kisser to TVB, praising the television channel left and right. But Hacken didn't care. "TVB gave me a lot of opportunities and even when I didn't have a contract with them, they sought me to do a lot of big shows. And when I worked for them, I became friends with a lot of employees, like producers and directors. When work came up that fit me, they would call me. Someone asked me, how come TVB doesn't look for other singers, because they are so many of them? I guessed because TVB doesn't need to go through managers and record labels to get to me. They contact me directly and think it's easier. Plus, I'm cheap, beautiful and upright, haha." We don't need to explain what "cheap" is. "Beautiful" means talented and "upright" means he doesn't mind. Hacken is known as the "Fifth King" and has earned a reputation of being stubborn. Since winning Most Popular Male Singer two years ago on TVB, many have stopped him on the street to tell him that he earned and deserved the award. "It would be embarassing if fans and the audience thought I didn't deserve the award." Who does Hacken think deserves to win this year? "Andy Lau's album, concerts, movies - all of them are bestsellers this year. I can't think of anyone who is more popular than him. The best thing is that Andy and I never go against each other. We always support each other. He is really my Most Popular Friend."

_____________________________
(Source: HKVP Radio) http://www.hkvpradio.com
http://www.hkvpradio.com/artists/hackenlee/

((note: the info saying "due to the popularity in sales of his DVD, Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra - Hacken Lee LIVE" is not correct. This DVD was from 2001))

Hacken Lee: the Unnamed 5th King

Armed with many awards, Hacken Lee, a veteran in 90s Chinese pop, could use a very big trophy room. Whether you like his vocal style or not, Hacken's fame is largely due to his unique voice and his determination to succeed. It's how he won fans first from Hong Kong, China and Taiwan, who welcomed Hacken after he dropped his first mandarin album there.

Just how dedicated is Hacken to music? Hacken wasn't nicknamed "Lek Yun" (smart person) for nothing. He went to study music in New York for two months before delighting his fans with his second concert tour in Hong Kong. Even before that, Hacken's true talent was evident when he became the winner of the 19 Districts Singing Contest. Hacken's big break came in 1992 with the fast-paced, karaoke-friendly "Sunny Day". Though Hacken had many highs in his life, like co-heading a concert with friend and singer, Alan Tam, life wasn't alway that way. During one of his all-time lows in his career and against his manager's advice, Hacken made a risky move by choosing to perform with the Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra. It turned out his performance was actually critically- acclaimed. Hacken may not have the characteristics of what you call a superstar, but his instinct and hard work make up for it.

Career Highlights:
• 51 albums released (1985-2003)
• 1985 - Winner in the 19 District Singing Contest
• 1985 - Signed record contract with Polygram Records
• 1993 - Held his first concert in Hong Kong to full houses and then toured North America, Australia, and other countries the following year
• 1994 - Performed in concerts overseas for the first time
• 2002 "Favorite Male Singer" trophy at the TVB Jade Solid Gold Awards with the song "Victory"
• 2002 Metro Radio Music Awards won 4 awards, including Best Male Artist
• 2003 - Hacken is named the Best Singer in Hong Kong due to the popularity in sales of his DVD, Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra - Hacken Lee LIVE
• 2003 - Won Best Male Artist at the CCTV-MTV Music Awards.
_______________________

Ming Pao - Article Translation (pt.1)
Posted By: Jane (cache-mtc-ac10.proxy.aol.com)
Date: Wednesday, 26 January 2005, at 7:09 p.m.

Ming Pao Weekly (#1885)
Dated: December 25th, 2004
Section: Shall We Talk?

Title: Good Timing – Hacken Lee

Don’t need to ask Mrs. Lee (TVB Lady-owner), don’t need to ask So Man Fung (masters of Feng Shui and Chinese Zodiac analyzer), and also don’t need to ask Guan Yin to borrow luck, Hacken Lee will continue to have luck in the upcoming award ceremonies.
TVB’s award will it be a three-in-a-row champ, he laughs and says, “the 3rd time is me again, if I am the audience, I think I feel bored.
Alan Tam’s setup of the New Heavenly Kings, [Ku, Hui, Lee, Leung], the most criticizing person, Nicholas Tse, wouldn’t dare to criticize, [no one is as stable as Hacken Lee.]
As for the most attention-grabbing news on wedding, still hasn’t happened because money-earning opportunities are many and have no time, money will not wait for people, but ladies are willing to wait, for these reasons, it makes people envious of him.
Thinking about his clothing style/taste, this time’s Music is Live Concert, when he came out with the red color shirt, caused the audience to laugh hysterically. But he replies, [if you must see Hacken dressed with style, then why not listen to me sing a few more songs].
As can see, he is a person who doesn’t let little things bother him.

REJECT COMMERCIAL RADIO AND DOES MUSIC IS LIVE
Hacken always says that Alan teaches him the reasons of life. Alan is the world’s friend and he tries to learn from Alan. But with Commerical Radio’s (CR) relationship, he once said, [there is no diplomatic relations],” the most severe time was that his song “Tall Girl” didn’t make it on the Top Ten, but Gigi’s “Tall Girl’s Continuation” did make on the Top Ten. January 1st, 2004, despite his friends and workers’ suggestion to not attend CR Award Ceremony, he attends and breaks the ice between them, and this year he even work together with them to do the Music is Live Concert.

M: Ming Pao
H: Hacken

M: Completing the Music is Live Concert, does that mean the relationship is back to normal?

H: before there was no Diplomatic relation, but there is now, is it like my friendship with other singers? Right now it is not. (Hacken never received the Best Male Singer from CR). Going to CR ceremony, main reason is because I don’t want any enemies within the showbiz, if going to the ceremony can shrink the distance between us, then I am more than willing to go. At the time many people told me not to attend, including my manager and the record company, they said, [you need to have a backbone]. The only person that told me to go was Alan. Ever since going, the feeling among us is much better.

M: January 1, 2005, will you be attending?

H: I hope I can go, but there is a lot of resistance, mainly from the record company, they hope to have better terms and conditions.

M: What reasons made your constant standpoint to weaken?

H: At least they will play my songs. Official explanation is that the DJ’s who dislike me has already left the company. Another reason is that both parties are willing to try to patch up the relationship and make things better. I used to be strong with my opinions, but maybe because I wasn’t standing strongly on this matter, so we were able to make our relationship better. I am a very straightforward person, we won’t be going back on my wrong doings, so there is not diplomatic relation. In addition, for couple of years, my singing career wasn’t too smooth, they have a bunch other artists’ songs to play, why play Hacken’s songs, the record company didn’t help me fight for my chances, because I wasn’t their priority.

M: within these two years, did the relationship ever change?

H: If I didn’t stand strong on my opinions, at least I would have already have a Music is Live concert two years ago. I remember that a high official of CR (now is one my close friends), wanted me to do a Music is Live concert, at that time CR haven’t presented me with an award, I said, [let’s just get to the point, since we are not friends, my reasons are never-ending for rejecting your offer. But if I can’t make it into the Top Ten Charts, I won’t be happy doing this Music is Live concert]. I don’t know why I had the courage to say that, I remember when we were in the CR conference room, everyone was silent for several seconds. Even till today, I still believe I was right, at the time you thought my songs were not up-to standard for your radio, fine! No problem, then why do you need me to do the show for you? For example, you don’t come to my restaurant, but tell people to come and order to-go, I think there is a very big problem.

TO BE CONTINUED...
=========

Ming Pao Article Translation (pt. 2)

Posted By: Jane (cache-ntc-ac01.proxy.aol.com)
Date: Thursday, 27 January 2005, at 2:36 a.m.

AWARDS IN LIVING ROOM, GET TO SEE IT EVERYDAY
New Heavenly Kings is kinda weird, Hacken first came out in ’86, his resume dates back further compared to the Old Heavenly Kings, Leon Lai and Aaron Kwok, with Leo Ku, there is a 2-3 generation gap in between. Hacken has been through many highs and lows, in the beginning he was always under Jacky Cheung who is in the same record company. But with the song “Deep, Deep, Deep” (sum, sum, sum), he became famous. But when he departed from Polygram, his career jumped to the bottom, but by being the host of JSG and World Cup, he was able to continue recognition from the audience; four years ago when he returned to Universal, his career takes a surprisingly big turn, including receiving the honor of being the Most Popular Male Singer for two consecutive years.

M: Ming Pao
H: Hacken

M: Where did you place this year and last year’s Most Popular Male Singer award?

H: I placed in a display cabinet in the living room, taking a look always makes me happy, it proves that I did receive this award. In my career, besides money and feeling, only awards can truly represent me, actually in my career, I have already made accomplishments. Actually to tell you the truth, whether it was my second or third time getting the award, it didn’t help with my record sales, it was actually the first time that I received it when it affected my record sales, as for this year, whether I get it or not, it won’t affect my record sales. Awards is something that is very important to the people who support me, just like how when Alan received awards before, I was always very happy because I am his fan. Its like in a soccer match, if Manchester wins the championship, its not my business but when I see how they defeat the other team, I would be very happy. If I was [??] (soccer player’s name), I will play better because a lot of people support me and would want to see me get the champion.

M: you’ve seen the bottom of your career before, would you be more tight or cautious of your accomplishments?

H: When I received this award, I am already not young anymore, 35, if I receive it when I was 25, I wouldn’t know how to handle, I would have too much pride of myself, when I speak I would talk louder. (used to describe domination or having higher stand over other people). I have seen this happen before, will be criticized by people, presenting you the award was suppose to encourage you, but instead it has harmed you. In between time, I have been through my highs and lows, so I know how to deal with my emotions. I’ve seen many things in life, and its quite scary, after the awards ceremony, people would go to the celebration party, a lot of people crowded around, some singers would hold onto their awards, some were scolded at, using very harsh words that hurts people, or get hidden from people. Within large crowds, the feeling is very straightforward that tells you whether you are popular or not or whether people hate you or not. I have seen Dayo Wong’s (Wong Ji Wah) stand-up comedy, he said that if Mr. Tung (HK Government) is able to go through the streets of Yau Jim Wong without bodyguards and come home safely, then that means that is accepted by the people. Being a celebrity is the same, when you are in public areas with other people and you don’t get criticism from people or hear bad words about you, then that proves that your relationship with the people is good.

TO BE CONTINUED...
=============

Re: Ming Pao Article Translation (pt. 3)

Posted By: Jane (cache-ntc-ac01.proxy.aol.com)
Date: Thursday, 27 January 2005, at 2:37 a.m.

In Response To: Ming Pao Article Translation (pt. 2) (Jane)

WILLING TO BE THE COMPANY’S PLAYER CARD (Backbone of the company)

M: Ming Pao
H: Hacken

M: you were once said to be overbearing.

H: at the time I wasn’t handling my mindset very well, even though I didn’t truly mean it, when other people say that about you, you can’t not admit to it. Some words, when I say it, it doesn’t seem like there is any problem, but the person hearing it, will feel that there is a problem. I am very lucky, I was once criticized, but everyone still give me a chance, now I really understand the concept (not sure how to explain it, but has to do with the words you use with people).

M: on your career downturn, when leaving the award ceremony empty-handed, how is that feeling?

H: of course is not a good feeling, every singer who attends the award ceremonies hope to go up on stage at least once, and sing at least one song. The first time I receive an award was in ’90, but the most suffering was that I went from having the award to not having the award, I asked the record company, why, and they said that in the record company, there are other singers who is better, having to fight for the award is still not your turn. I said to myself: [does this mean game over?] then the following year, still have no award, I remember that was the year I sang “Red Day”, the song is pretty good, but it never received any awards, I was very unhappy at the time. I think of it this way nowadays, if I win an award, I am the hero for only one night, if I lose, it is only for one night, when I wake up, it is the start of a new year, everything starts fresh again. Like this year, will I be able to get the 3rd Most Popular Male Singer Award? In a entertainment circle where people want something new and fresh, it is extremely difficult, in an audience point of view, I would want to see change too, him again, how boring.

M: Every ceremony has their rules and conditions, like a trade, are you afraid that the record company will change their player’s card? (change Hacken’s status in the company)

H: Every singer is the company’s player card, I should be honored to be a card of the company and not a baggage. When I first entered the showbiz, Alan was the player card, in charge of going around to bargain an award for me, now I hope I am able to help other people bargain, so it proves my bargaining power.

M: why did you set the rule that you must get the Most Popular Male Singer award before getting married?

H: this, everyone got the wrong message, every year reporters would ask me when am I going to get married, I said we’ll see what happens after the ceremonies first, then everyone thinks that I will get married right after the ceremonies, so does that mean, if I can’t get awards, then I won’t ever have to marry? Actually I really don’t know why people have so much interest in that? Her and I have been together for many years, everyone understands that clearly, but maybe because Hong Kong people really would want to see Hacken dressed formally and walking down the aisle. If it was because of some people’s thinking, I have a wedding ceremony, then this is a (…) event.

TO BE CONTINUED...
========

Re: Ming Pao Article Translation (pt. 4)

Posted By: Jane (cache-ntc-ac01.proxy.aol.com)
Date: Thursday, 27 January 2005, at 2:39 a.m.

In Response To: Ming Pao Article Translation (pt. 2) (Jane)

HOPE TO BECOME A FATHER SOON
Regarding Hacken’s marriage news, almost every year it was a topic for discussion, earlier it was said that he will have his banquet in February ’05. Hacken speaks for clarity saying that he was planned to marry in the fall, but because “Left Alan Right Lee” concert tour was scheduled tightly, and we couldn’t change the plans. Hacken says, right now he is actively planning to marry in 2005, when there is time, then his plans shall be initiated, his thoughts were to register in other part of the country, but he is most afraid to plan a banquet, so instead he’d rather host a party, for cake cutting and photo taking, and of course most importantly to receive gifts, money, and blessing from people, otherwise will have no money to have children.

M: Ming Pao
H: Hacken

M: As of right now, what plans are affecting your wedding plans?

H: the biggest consideration is about having children, we want to have children soon, actually in my 20s I already wanted to be a father, dragging till now (Hacken at age 38), it is already much later than anticipated. Having a 30 year gap with my children is already a huge gap, I don’t want it to be a 40 year gap. Jacky Cheung always say to me: [hurry and have children, after becoming a father, you will only regret that you have children too late in age.] making me very anxious. I can’t believe that Eason has become a father before me. Every time I see him, I am always happy for him.

M: When did you decide that Emily Lo was the person you truly want to marry?

H: A long time ago, my decision wasn’t just within these few years. Several singer friends asked me, what led you to the decision that she is the one, but I couldn’t answer that question, but the feeling tells me, when I am willingly to sacrifice anything for her, whether it was something big or small, then the answer is her. If there is any kind confusion or questioning, then she will not be one.

CONCLUSION – HONESTY

My feelings are that, Hacken is a very down-to-earth person, one who doesn’t speak in the exaggerating manner.

Among the New Heavenly Kings, he is the only one who would write his own lyrics, proving his efforts. He wrote the part in “Tall Girl” that goes “I am not 6 foot tall, but I will still treat you good”, is very simple, but truly expresses many men’s feelings.

In the recent “Flying Man”, is also written by him, the story line was originally planned to reflect on Tin Leung and Kwok Jing Jing (Olympic Divers), but one can’t believe that when the song was released, the person beside Kwok Jing Jing is already a different person.

Asked him, whether or not he would read books because of writing lyrics, he was very honest: [very little, I oftenly read the entertainment news and read the gossip magazines.]

Hacken is definitely very honest, when discussing his clothing style, always being the joke among the audience, did your wardrobe designer, Emily Lo, your girlfriend ever get upset? He replies: [its not her fault, if I am the joke for people, then its mainly because I dress disorderly].

He protects his girlfriend with words, seeing that he is not six foot tall, I get the feeling that Emily Lo’s patient wait was definitely worth the wait.

FINISHED.

I hope you guys enjoyed reading this article as much as I enjoyed translating it... =) although there were some words that I didn't know, but I was able to ask other people for help, but there are some blanks left in the translation because I really don't know how to translate it... Sorry... =) I've tried my best...
_______________________________________

[f/ Elaine’s site: www.geocities.com/xiluvhackenleex ]

Hacken Lee in 1985 took part in the Hong Kong 19 district
singing contest & won first prize. Later, he signed a
contract with PolyGram Hong Kong Ltd and became an artist.
His first album had earned good reputation & good comments
from professionals. In 1989, Hacken International Fans Club
was officially established.
Because Hacken was well known with his beautiful voice,
he received many awards. Other than singing, he was involved
with many television drama, video, advertisements, charity &
special shows.

His first concert (8 shows) held in December 1993 in
Hong Kong and later in 1994 he held concerts in North
America, Australia, etc..

In 1994 he released his first mandarin album which expanded his career
to mandarin market (mainly Mainland China & Taiwan). He was also
well known because of his voice.

In order to learn more about music, Hacken in 1995 went to New York
for a 2 month course. In the same year, he returned to Hong Kong
to open his second concert (10 shows) which was also very successful.

"World Cup 98" made Hacken's career to a higher level. Hacken's
song was well known among the chinese around the world. This song
also did very well in the music charts & received TVB second quarter
music award.
____________________________



No comments: